02 February 2011

Reassesment

Dear Blog,

I've been away for a while.  I'm sorry about that.  I've just been so very busy with school and work and many more excuses that I will not name here.  Now it's safe to say that I am back.  I've lowered my Netflix subscription to the smallest possible plan keeping me from hours of online television watching, I've purchased myself subscriptions to the Economist and Live Station so I can watch Al Jezeera and I've recently added about 20 more books to my book shelves.  Woah.

I know that I must write.  I must write because if I cease to write I will cease to exist.

And that brings me to passion.  Passion for writing.  Passion for human rights and development.  I just finished reading Mountains Beyond Mountains for the third time. For those of you who don't know the book, it's the story of Dr. Paul Farmer. (Actually, it's the story of Tracey Kidder following Dr. Paul Farmer around.)  It is Farmer, not Kidder who inspires me so much.  A medical anthropologist, Farmer is to the medical world what I can only dream of being to the development world.  I've just started The Paul Farmer Reader, an anthology of his writings and lectures on structural violence and his anthropological observations in Haiti.  Farmers words are stunning.  He presents the ever growing suffering of the world by giving voices to those who live their lives behind the walls constructed to keep them out of the view of the rich and comfortable.

As a bright young student with dreams heavily rooted in both international development and anthropology, I take his words and actions as a challenge.  I'm challenged to continually assess the reasons I give for going to school, for engaging in various committees in Student Leadership and for writing.   This is what I do at the start of every year--I reassess.



To be continued...

1 comment:

  1. OH Mountains Beyond Mountains is such an AMAZING classic. I love that you just finished re-reading it for the third time.

    What else did you add to your bookshelf? I'm desperate to peak at those 20 titles...

    ReplyDelete